Township High School District 113 Board of Education acknowledges that student engagement and participation in all that Deerfield and Highland Park High Schools have to offer encourages student attendance. Being connected in some way to high school is a major factor in supporting student success. The following attributes are critical components of positive student engagement and attendance:
- A positive physical and psychological environment;
- The presence of strong adult role models;
- Respectful and nurturing relationships between students and adults;
- A high level of student participation and engagement;
- A rigorous academic program with clearly defined goals and expectations.
Township High School District 113 Board of Education also recognizes that school attendance is both a student’s right and responsibility, and understands there is a positive correlation between consistent school attendance, academic success, and school completion. Therefore, District 113 has and will continue to take measures to monitor and improve student attendance. This attendance policy has been developed and implemented in a concerted effort to meet the following objectives:
- Increase school completion for all students;
- Raise student achievement and close gaps in student performance;
- Know the whereabouts of every student for safety and logistical reasons;
- Verify that individual students are complying with education laws relating to compulsory attendance;
- Identify attendance patterns, develop attendance improvement efforts, and highlight success;
- Determine the District’s average daily attendance for State aid calculation purposes.