Grand Times Overview
Grand Times is an intergenerational program that provides opportunities for retired and older members of the community to share their time and talents with students and staff at Deerfield and Highland Park High Schools.
The program seeks to:
- Match senior citizens and/or retirees in partnership with Deerfield and Highland Park High School students and faculty
- Use the strengths, interests, and experiences of older adults in mentoring/assisting high school students
- Provide senior citizens/retired persons with the opportunity to contribute their time, knowledge, wisdom and skills to the school and the general community
- Encourage connections between high school students and senior citizens/retired persons in the community
The process involves:
- Grand Times interviews of prospective members
- Matching of volunteers with faculty requests through the use of liaisons at DHS and HPHS
- Appropriate placement of volunteers by Grand Times coordinators
Grand Timers have:
- Worked directly with teachers and students in the classroom on a weekly basis
- Acted as judges for student projects
- Chaperoned numerous types of field trips
- Mentored seniors as they prepare their final projects before graduation
- Recorded literature for use in the classroom
- Served as guest speakers regarding topics of study
- Volunteered at Focus on the Arts
- Conducted mock job interviews
- Acted as judges for the regional DECA competition
For additional information, contact Diana Roman at 224-765-1008 or DRoman@dist113.org.
After completing your application, please either email it to the contact person listed above, or mail it to Grand Times at 1040 Park Avenue West, Highland Park, IL 60035-2257.