Human Rights Club promotes fair trade practices in a few ways.
- We host a Fair Trade Marketplace in October, including a display and sale of fair trade chocolates in various sizes and flavors, and we invite our friends from Chicago Fair Trade and Artisans of Ghana to bring goods to showcase and sell.
- Sometimes we are able to host a speaker or film screening to educate ourselves and the DHS community. In 2021, we watched an episode of the Netflix series Rotten about how chocolate is made and supplied around the world, and in 2020, we hosted Chicago Fair Trade's Executive Director Katherine Bissell Cordova over Zoom. You can watch the video recording.
- We host Artisans of Ghana again at the Jam for Justice, where they create a beautiful display of goods.
- We purchase only fair trade certified chocolates whenever we sell chocolate, and we try to make sure the t-shirts we order for the Jam for Justice are made with fair labor practices up and down the supply chain.
- We also reach out to other groups within DHS to ask them to consider fair trade options when they make purchases, such as soccer balls.
- New in 2022-2023: We will have a Fair Trade Valentine Chocolate Sale.
Learn more about fair trade by looking at the visuals, videos and links below, and consider coming to our meetings and events.