Participating in Elections
There are many ways young people can participate in elections, no matter their age or citizenship status.
If you will be 18 years old and a U.S. citizen by the time of the general election in November, Illinois law allows you to vote in the primary election as well as in the general election.
Make sure you register to vote!
The League of Women Voters was at DHS on Feb. 14 & May 12-13, but if you missed your chance - the Lake County Clerk's Office has information on how you can register at the polling place (early voting sites and Election Day sites). Go to https://ova.elections.il.gov/.
If you are not certain whether you are already registered to vote, you can confirm that by clicking this link: https://www.lakecountyil.gov/351/Voter-Power-for-Registered-Voters
Voting options in Lake County:
- general info - https://www.lakecountyil.gov/332/Voter-Services
Information for registered voters - https://www.lakecountyil.gov/351/Voter-Power
What/Who/When for the General Election - https://www.lakecountyil.gov//163/Elections
Also, see the Deerfield Public Library's Voter Information page
How can I become an informed voter?
- Preview what/who is on your ballot (when it is available) at https://www.ballotready.org/ or at the Lake County Elections website.
- Read local newspapers for information on local and state races.
Make sure you learn about the candidates for judges & their ratings - you can use
- Why Vote? See the PSA linked below which uses sarcasm to explain why young people should exercise the right to vote.
Serve as Student Election Judge on Election Day
You do not have to be an eligible voter to be a student election judge! If you are 16 and a US citizen, you can apply.
Check out the requirements and application here: https://www.lakecountyil.gov/328/Student-Election-Judges
- Student election judges earn money, and this activity can help you fulfill the civic engagement requirement for Civics class.
Work on a political campaign
No matter whether you know what your political leanings are, you can serve on a political campaign as a volunteer or a paid intern or staff member. Look up individual candidates using the Lake County Elections page, or you can select an issue you feel strongly about and find an organization that works on that issue, contact that organization and ask how you can help promote your position on that issue.
Learn more about voting below: