Nancy Swartz Scholarship Fund
Nancy Swartz was a 1972 HPHS alum who made many positive contributions to the Highland Park High School community. Click here to see a "Letter of Recognition" for Nancy's outstanding contributions. During her time at HPHS, Nancy worked as a tutor with Latino students and was one of the founding members of the Spanish Club. Nancy went on to major in Spanish at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and throughout her life practiced her Spanish at every opportunity.
Nancy believed in the value of a second language and had a unique appreciation for those who strive to make multiple languages a part of their lives as well.
In Nancy’s memory, two scholarships of $500.00 each will be awarded annually to senior students that meet the criteria to honor Nancy’s connection to our community.
The student should possess characteristics that...
- Demonstrate a passion for the Spanish language and culture
- Demonstrate a willingness to be actively involved in the community
- Demonstrate a willingness to help others who need help in developing their language skills
- Has earned the “Seal of Biliteracy” through the State of Illinois
- Enrolled in Spanish classes throughout his/her studies at Highland Park High School
- Has a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Is interested in continued Spanish language studies at the post-secondary level
Completed Application Includes:
- Personal Essay (with statements verifying the requirements above)
- List of Accomplishments at HPHS
- List of Accomplishments in the community and in helping others
2020 Winners: Rowan Kischer and Tiffany Toledo
Questions? Please contact Jeff Handley at email@example.com or Alison Silva at firstname.lastname@example.org