Seal Of Biliteracy and Commendation Toward Biliteracy
Township High School District 113 students have the opportunity to be recognized by the State of Illinois for earning proficiency in English and one additional language. The Illinois Board of Education's Seal of Biliteracy program will confer official recognition on the diploma and transcripts of those students who qualify.
- This is a list of the "Approved Assessments" that can be used to qualify.
- This is a list of "Post-Secondary Benefits" for the Seal of Biliteracy.
- This is a list of "Frequently Asked Questions".
Two honors are available:
- The Seal of Biliteracy: is awarded to junior and senior students whose proficiency level is equivalent to the Intermediate High scale set by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
- The Commendation Toward Biliteracy: is awarded to junior and senior students whose proficiency level is equivalent to the Intermediate Low or Intermediate Mid scale set in a second language.
Spring 2023 "Seal of Biliteracy" testing is available for students who would like to demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English. To schedule testing, please contact Jeff Handley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, students who take the AAPPL test or an AP Language and Culture exam on their current course of study do not need to schedule additional testing. Scores will be processed and students will be notified in the event that they qualify for either "The Seal of Biliteracy" or "The Commendation Toward Biliteracy" during the Fall or Spring semester.
For those awaiting an ACT/SAT score to qualify, please contact Jeff Handley at email@example.com once your score is available.
For more information or questions, contact Janel Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org.