Drop-off and pick-up regulations
It is imperative that we all adhere to the rules to ensure safety, regardless of whether a police officer is present. Parents/guardians may need to allow more time on inclement weather days, when traffic is heavier around HPHS.
As a reminder, the following are permitted drop off/pickup locations:
- The Vine Avenue visitor and staff parking lot, which opened last fall--Pull in from east- or west-bound Vine, drop your student(s) off along the north and west boundaries of the lot, then exit onto southbound St. Johns. Students dropped off in this location are asked to utilize the sidewalk that leads to the supervised crosswalk to cross Vine Avenue.
- West Lot—Access the drop off/pickup lane off of Vine Avenue east of Green Bay Road.
- North side of Vine Avenue – This area directly in front of the school on westbound Vine Avenue has been designated for drop off/pickup only between 7-9 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. You must pull over to the curb for drop off/pickup. Drop-offs/pickups are not permitted in this area outside of these designated times. Unattended vehicles are subject to a $50 citation.
- North Lot—Access the drop off/pickup lane only off St. Johns. There is no access from Vine into the student lot. Use the marked drop-off/pick-up lane. Do not pull into the circle drive.
Tip: Peak traffic hours around HPHS are 7:40-8 a.m. for drop-off and 2:50-3:15 p.m. for pickup. Arriving before 7:40 a.m. for drop off or after 3:15 p.m. for pick-up can significantly reduce your time spent waiting in traffic. Allow more time on inclement weather days.
Parents/guardians needing to drop off lunches, books and other student items during the school day: Please park in the visitors section of the Vine Lot and leave items at the Security Desk just inside the front door of the school. It is illegal to park in the fire lane in front of HPHS, even just for a moment.
REMINDER: To maintain safety for pedestrians and reduce traffic congestion, parking, stopping, or standing on Vine, St. Johns or Maple avenues is prohibited by City Code between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. and carries a $50 fine. In addition, drivers obstructing traffic are subject to $120 traffic citations. You may also receive a ticket for:
- Disobeying the no parking/permit parking restrictions posted on Woodpath by using it as a pick-up/drop-off area
- Parking in the drop-off area directly in front of the school on westbound Vine
- Making a U-turn on Vine Avenue at any time
- Standing, stopping, dropping off/picking up or parking on the south side of Vine, including areas and streets directly east of HPHS and the Vine/St. Johns intersection. The only areas where drop-offs and pick-ups are allowed on or around the HPHS campus are on the attached map; everywhere else is illegal and subject to ticketing.
- Obstructing/blocking or parking in a resident’s driveway or driveway apron
- Hand-held cell phone use while driving
Our school is in a residential neighborhood, so please make every effort to be respectful of our neighbors’ property. This includes not using driveways as turnaround points. Thank you for helping us to keep our campus safe and improve traffic flow for the benefit of all!